Scholarships to study in Canada: Canadian universities and colleges provide a wide range of scholarships to meritorious international students to help them fund their studies. Apart from this, many scholarships, grants, and bursaries are also offered by the Canadian government, public and private establishments. Before you apply to any of these scholarships, do check the eligibility and criteria, along with the closing date.
What are the criteria for applying to scholarships?
The primary criterion for most scholarships is a good academic score, however, it also depends on factors such as your chosen institution, subject, and level. In some scholarships, factors like extracurricular activities, and volunteering can also be used to advantage.
What amount of money is available through scholarships?
The amount of money available and the type of award varies between various institutions. Getting a scholarship is competitive and so, it is important that you apply well ahead of time. We recommend you start with the procedure about 8-12 months before the preferred intake begins.
Here’s an overview of some of the popular scholarships you can apply to as a Bangladeshi student:
1. Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute: Offers various fellowships at different levels from graduate to post-doctorate and from research to training fellowships
2. Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan: This scheme identifies students with high intellect from Commonwealth countries applying to programs of advanced study and research at the Master’s and Ph.D. levels.
The award comprises travel, living allowance, and compulsory tuition fees.
3. Ontario Graduate Scholarship Program: For graduate students in a wide variety of disciplines.
As a pre-requisite to applying, students must accept an offer from a university in Ontario and obtain a valid study permit.
4. National Research Council of Canada (NRCC): Research associateship is offered to master degree holders in engineering and Ph.D. holders in natural science or engineering disciplines.
5. Quebec Provincial Government Scholarship: For students studying in Quebec.
Financial assistance to students at the master’s level or above.
Each application is assessed on its own merit.
6. Ontario Trillium Scholarship: First announced in November 2010 for doctoral students from around the world to study in Ontario.
Each scholarship is worth $40,000 annually, renewable for a maximum of four years
75 scholarships are awarded each year.
Ontario universities are responsible for selecting and awarding scholarships to international Ph.D. students based on merit and program criteria.
7. Partnership Grants by Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada: For Ph.D. candidates.
Supports new or existing research initiatives in social sciences and humanities.
Worth up to CAD 20,000.
Duration: 4 to 7 years.
Remember, Ontario universities are known for selecting and awarding scholarships to international Ph.D. students based on merit and program.
Do check if there are scholarships specifically available for Bangladesh natives. Also, every university and college has its own list of scholarships for international students. Ask your IDP counselor for guidance and they will help you with all the available scholarships during the application process.
Md Mehedi Hasan Founder and CEO at Enewresult.com. Enewresult is BD result & All BD Job circular published website. I love writing about the BD govt job circular, NGO job circular, Company job circular, etc. You can visit my website every day for updates.